If your Windows computer is also used by other users or family members, and you want to disable access to a particular hard disk or hard disk partition, then we can do so with a little bit of setup on Windows. In this post, we shall see how to disable or restrict access to a particular hard disk or hard disk partition to a particular user on Windows computer.
For some people, the same computer may be used by many others. This is quite normal for computers at home also. But if you have imprtant and confidential diles on the same computer and you do not want to let the other users gain access to those files even by chance, then you can setup some controls.
In order to disable access to a particular user on Windows, we would need a separate user account for those users who should not have access to the hard drive or hard drive partition. If the user account already exists, skip to step #5. Other wise, we’d need to create a separate account for the other users who would be accessing your computer.
Steps to disable or restrict access to hard disk on Windows:
- Log on to the computer with an Administrator account.
- Click “Start,” type “Control Panel” (without quotes) and then navigate to “Control Panel > User Accounts” (Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsUser Accounts).
- Click “Manage another account.”
- Click “Create a new account” or ” Add a new user in PC settings” (in case of Windows 8/10) and fill in the required username, password etc.
On Windows 8/10, the process to add a new user to PC is slightly different. Add a new user following the steps below:
- Navigate to Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsUser Accounts
- Click on Manage Another Account
- Click on “Add a new user in PC settings”
- In the PC Settings > Family & Other People > Click “Add someone else to this PC”
- Windows will attempt to let you enter Windows / Outlook account details of the person you want to add. If you have, well and good. Otherwise, click on ” I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”.
- Windows will then tell you to create an account for the user. If you want Windows / Microsoft account, go ahead. Otherwise, click on “Add a user without Microsoft Account”
- Fill in Username, Password and Password Hint if required.
- Then click on next and proceed as per the instructions.
The steps above will successfully restrict or deny access to a hard drive or hard drive partition from other users.